As a mom of two young school age girls Google’s search engine is a blessing and a curse. I love it when we use it for homework or to do some relevant research but quietly freak out when my 6 year old runs to me and screams out “mommy Google is being inappropriate again.”
Well enter Kiddle, a google search engine though not owned by Google it is powered by them. When I got this info from my good good girlfriend, Dr. Ashaki Coleman (Who will soon be putting out her math products for kids), I almost leaped for joy. We have had many conversations about keeping our girls safe while browsing the net on all the mobile devices we buy them. Which makes us part of the problem but I will leave that for another post. I quickly went on the search engine and inserted a few keys words and sighed a huge sigh of relief at the results which are below. Anything that can block the words sex and twerk in a search engine is absolutely Hey Momi Approved!
The video below gives you a quick glimpse into how Kiddle works.
Below is more information on the search engine from Kiddle’s website.
How Kiddle Works
1) Safe search: sites appearing in Kiddle search results satisfy family friendly requirements, as we filter sites with explicit or deceptive content. Please read more on kids safe search on Kiddle here.
2) Kids-oriented results: the boxes below illustrate how Kiddle returns results for each query (in the order shown):
Safe sites and pages written specifically for kids. Handpicked and checked by Kiddle editors.
Typically, results 1-3.
Safe, trusted sites that are not written specifically for kids, but have content written in a simple way, easy for kids to understand. Handpicked and checked by Kiddle editors.
Typically, results 4-7.
Safe, famous sites that are written for adults, providing expert content, but are harder for kids to understand. Filtered by Google safe search.
Typically, results 8 onwards.
3) Big thumbnails: most Kiddle search results are illustrated with big thumbnails, which makes it easier to scan the results, differentiate between them, and click the most appropriate results to your query. Thumbnails serve as visual clues and are especially beneficial to kids as they don’t read as fast as adults.
4) Large Arial font in Kiddle search results provides better readability for kids.
5) Privacy: we don’t collect any personally identifiable information, and our logs are deleted every 24 hours.